Friday, December 26, 2008

My First Visit to Publix

I had to go grocery shopping. I had to mentally prepare for my first visit to my local Publix as a Iyawo. I have the advantage of living in Little Havana, and certainly not being the first Iyawo to visit this grocery store. All the same, I wondered -- how would I be treated? Will someone make a nasty comment?

Ya gotta do what you gotta do. So I prepared myself, dressed from head to toe in white, with my lacy shawl around my shoulders, and got in my car to drive to the store. After finding a parking spot near the entrance, I disembarked, taking in deep breaths as I made my way to the store. I focused on finding a shopping cart.

Within a minute of entering the store, after steering the cart left through the Bakery section, I heard two men call out simultaneously, "¡BendiciĆ³n, Iyawo!" I was so taken off guard that I didn't even look their way, but instead crossed my arms over my chest and bowed slightly in return. Well, this has gotten off to a good start, I thought, and smiled. As I meandered through the aisles, I realized that I would have to tie a knot in my shawl so I could have two hands free, and the thick lacy material made the knot large and conspicuous. Like I said: gotta do what you gotta do.

Then it wasn't difficult at all. I picked up fruits and vegetables (garlic, peppers, oranges, broccoli, bananas ...), organic nonfat milk and yogurt, and some beef and chicken. The store became more and more crowded, and I wanted to get out ASAP. (You definitely become more sensitive as a Iyawo.)

As I stood in the checkout line, an older gentleman approached me and said, "Hija de Yemaya..." (daughter of Yemaya) and pointed to my Ide (sacred bracelet), which has blue, coral, yellow and gold beads. "No, hija de Ochosi," I explained (daughter of Ochosi). "Ohhh," the man said, nodding and smiling.

Suddenly, a young woman standing in the next line exclaimed, "¡Mi esposo es hijo de Ochosi!" (My husband is a son of Ochosi!").

Ahh, I love Little Havana!

No comments:

Post a Comment